Friday, September 18, 2009

Module 1 part 2: How to Make a d&d character







I decided to do my "How To" page on something almost all pencil and paper tabletop games have done dozens of times. Unfortunately, for those who aren't combat vets of dungeon sieges, this is slightly less intuitive. This hypothesis was only confirmed when I showed gamers the drawing, and they instantly understood it, and everyone else was trying to figure out what was going on. I used comic boxes and scale to try to impress what my personal ideas about gaming entail.

The first box, top left, has 3 people thinking about what to do with their epic heroes. The stick figures are generic representations of stereotypical adventurers. One has a sword, one has magic, and the other a bow. The stage looking multi sectioned thing is a "dungeon master screen," A staple of many games. I didn't give the players faces for 2 reasons. The first, and more symbolic reason is that of deciding on one's identity for the game. The second is that I can't really draw faces well. This will probably occur in many future works I submit, so get used to it.

The next panel is the step that everyone love or hates, depending on the person, and the game- doing the math. I tried to make it look as if the person was rolling the dice you see on the table, and I kind of succeed. This step is crucial for most games, if time consuming, but one or two hours of creating a character can translate into weeks and months of actual play time. The "final panel" is that of a player submitting his character to a GM, or game master, for final approval. You may noticed the cross fingers of said player, hoping to be approved, and to get onto the game.

The rest of the page is done in landscape. The assignment specified comic format, but I decided to take advantage of that in a different way. The panels at the top are the real world, in which all the set up happens, and in which the players are bound to that reality. The landscape, and battle scene have no borders, in my attempt to represent the unbounded possibilities of the world the game has created. This is technically against the assignment, but I figured I'd go for it and see what happens. I also attempted to put in a background that would imply a large world, full over verity, and wonder, not just the foreground of the completed characters, fighting goblins on the road. The end message I attempted to give off is related to the power and fun of imagination and gaming, when you can step into that new reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment