Friday, September 18, 2009

module 1 part 1



For this assignment, I decided to plot a progression of video game graphics through time. I should mention that pencil scans don;t quite translate perfectly to j pegs, especially the way I tend to draw them. Excuses aside, I looked up some of the classic game art of the industry, and tried to replicate some. The first Image is of the first game created with a graphics component, called space wars. I should not that this is not the original art work, but closer to a more modern version that I have played many times. Still, space wars was one of the first great arcade 8-bit games.

If you don't recognize the 8-bit Mario, I really have nothing to say to you. This is actually the second major incarnation of Mario, not counting jump man, and was around in the 80's. It's not until I tried to draw Mario out in his pixilated form that I realize just how strangely proportioned he was back then. His facial hair takes up more space than his arm! Next up, I decided to skip a few generations and go to a 16 bit sonic. This was late 80's early 90's tech, though sonic stayed relatively unchanged until he hit 3D with everyone else. I ended up drawing him out, and then making his curved edges squared off, as that's how he looks up close. The last image is supposed to be a 3D version of Kirby. I wanted to put a 3D drawing in for the last one, and I didn't start with Kirby. I tried link, and Donkey Kong, but I couldn't really get either one. it just didn't feel right, so I went with our pink puffy friend. I also tried to frame the whole thing on a computer screen, so that it would be more apparent it was all computer generated art.

If your unfamiliar with the mentioned characters, here is a helpful image I used for a few drawing ideas

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/img1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment